Time Management (Session 2)

Today we had our second time management session with Fred, following last weeks session. We have been focusing on time management recording what we as a group generally do every week. The tasks can be split into three category's. Domestic, Social and Design practice.

Here you can see some of the sheets we did from today's session:




My three lists of ten Social, Domestic and Design rules that will make things easier for me in the future and keep my happy...

Social
- Avoid working on my Design practice at weekends, this is my time for part-time work and social activities
- Stop staying up past midnight on weeknights
- Save drinking for the weekends and not week nights; except birthday / special occasions etc
- Attend the gym at least 4 times a week (preferably before university)
- Skype family at least 4 times a week
- Skype/Call/Text old friends at least once a fortnight to catch up
- Go out once a fortnight (every other friday) and then special occasions; this will allow me to save money and also enjoy my nights out more
- Spend one evening a night where I do no work and spend it purely with flatmates/friends.
- Organise a day out once a month with my flatmates/friends.
- Organise girly film nights once a month with Eve and Hannah. 

Domestic
- Maintain my tidy/clean bedroom
- Clean the kitchen every evening before bed so it stops stressing me out when I wake up to a pile of everybody's plates
- Plan meals better, cook for fresh food rather than frozen and don't waste as much food
Manage money better, stop spending over £100 a week: allowing myself to save money and put the remainder into savings
- Do my laundry once a week; 3 washes.. darks, lights and colours
- Hoover/dust my room once a week: living in such a small room has made me realise how dusty and dirty surfaces get
- Pamper myself at least 3 evenings a week (moisturise/tan/facemasks etc.)
- Drink more and eat less junk (chocolate, icecream etc.. apart from work, thats the exception)
- Only allow myself half an hour for lunch plus small 5 minute breaks throughout the day.
- Early nights and early rises on weekdays (lie-ins are for the weekend)

Design
- Continue to manage my time effectively and stick to deadlines that I set myself in order to keep on top of tasks and not let them build up (to-do lists)
- Always complete design sheets before beginning to digitally produce designs; this way I get the most out of my idea's and inspirations
- Blog work the day it is completely to maintain on top of my blogging and set tasks
- Set up a network over Easter and continue to promote myself and my work (tumblr/behance etc.)
- Experiment with new processes (screenprint etc)
- Blog a Designer a Day for the rest of the year; this will expand my knowledge of designers and hopefully my awareness of current trends
- Catch up on my large 'to-do' list and get to a stage where I can create a design a week to build my portfolio (Hope to be at this stage by the end of easter)
- Break up my day, do lots of little tasks throughout a day (social domestic and design practice based), giving myself breaks along the way.
- Split my time effectively on each project between research, initial idea's and design process.
- Continue to blog lecture notes the day I go to the lecture; keeping on top of my workload.

Writing these 3 lists on 10 rules was unbelievably difficult, I wanted to make sure they were all realistic achievements whilst also things that I would actually work at to achieve and not just ignore after completing this blog post.

Monday 19 March 2012 by Lisa Collier
Categories: | Leave a comment

Leave a Reply